Help keep Spotted Lantern Fly at bay!
Invasive Species Awareness Week: June 6
Tuesday, June 6, 2023,
6:30 PM -
Invasive Species Awareness Week, June 5-9, is a time to promote knowledge and understanding of invasive species and the harm they can cause. We want to empower YOU to stop the spread of invasive species!
- June 5, 6-7pm, Canton Free Library Paige Room
- Emerald Ash Borer with Aaron Barrigar of the SLC Soil and Water Conservation District
- June 6, 6:30-8pm, SLU Wachtmeister Field Station
- Nick Hamilton-Honey of CCE and Kayla Edmunds of Nature Up North will talk about Spotted Lantern Fly. This invasive plant hopper can damage apples, grapes, hops, maple, walnut, and other agricultural crops as well as make being outside in your yard very unpleasant. Identifying this pest in all stages of its life, what to do if you see it, how to prevent this damaging pest from making it to St. Lawrence County, and more will be covered.
- June 7, 7-8pm, Indian Creek Nature Center Pavilion
- Purple loosestrife with Jess Rogers, Biology Professor at SUNY Potsdam
- June 8, 6:30-8pm, Potsdam Public Library Mezzanine Classroom
- Gardeners' role in controlling invasives with Erica LaFountain and Nick Hamilton-Honey of Cornell Cooperative Extension
- June 9, 1-2pm, Potsdam Public Library
- Wild parsnip, Spotted Wing Drosophila, ask a naturalist or Master Gardener Volunteer with Ken Kogut (MGV) and Nick Hamilton-Honey
St. Lawrence University's Wachmeister Field Station
County Route 27
Canton, NY 13617
Last updated May 3, 2023